Monday, January 23, 2006


LAND OF THE DRAGON, YEAR OF THE DOG. Hong Kong, China. For Miriam blog enthusiasts who are HANGING ON for resolution of the Brasil visa cliffhanger, wait no longer. I RECEIVED my visa for Brasil in a near record time for that consulate- (the standard, if you have your crap together) 5 days. The end of my time in Bangkok saw me mostly itching to leave, such that it became difficult to do anything. I didn't WANT to see or do anything else, sightseeing, blah blah. I just wanted to go. So I hung out with some friends I'd made and went out for food and drinks, and that was probably nicer anyway. And I ate lots of excellent things and made some art, and those are always worthwhile.
From the moment I arrived in Hong Kong, I have felt better. Really well, in fact. Maybe it's relief from being out of Bangkok (I should at some point figure out why I hated it so much), but maybe it's just that I love Hong Kong. Except the part where I can't find a place (still) that will let me upload my photos. Maybe I should try actually PAYING for internet somewhere. That might work out. In any case, Hong Kong is big and full of people, but it is well organized, easy to get around, has got spectacular views replete with mountains and water and boats and trams and stuff. If you're into shopping, it's pretty excellent*. (*If you have money OR are a shameless haggler, and are into shopping, it's pretty excellent. If you don't have one of these 2 things, it's not that great to shop here. And in case you are easily discouraged by people who respond to questions in English by looking as if you just asked them to eat their trousers, then it's probably best to stay in your guest house.)
If you're into dried fish products, climbing hills, manicured parks, deep fried frogs, bird markets, jade markets, tea, hourly rooms for rent, people for rent, why then this is THE place for you.
It's pricey, but I am staying at a groovy, scandinavian-run guest house/hostel that is far from the center of the city, but quiet, clean and very cozy. So far the only bad part about being here is that due to the coming Chinese New Year (which starts in less than a week), there are apparently no available seats on any train in mainland China for 3 weeks. (or if there are, they are hiding out, and no one here wants to help me search for and find them.) So I will have to change my plan of attack a little and will be flying into mainland China, entering in the southwest province of Yunnan, known for its temperate and lovely climate, its cultural diversity (it is home to a great many- dare I name 28? nooooooo...- ethnic minorities), and its gorgeous terrain. I will start out in Kunming, which should be a good departure point for other cities in the area, like the provincial capital Dali, and the mountain city of Lijiang. This is all on the condition that they can still get me a flight out to Kunming tomorrow. I am on my way now to find out.
But so far, this accessible and prosperous pinky toe of the Republic of China is quiet agreeing with me, and I hope that the parts of China where language and the vagueries of Chinese existence/bureacracy are more of an obstacle will be equally engaging and exciting. I think that they will be. And PICTURES. I will post such PICTURES... (I hope.) A Happy and prosperous Year of the Dog to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aditya said...

1. Given your experiences in Bangkok, I am a little surprised as to how Bangkok's tourism is doing better than India's. I do hope your visit to China & Hongkong is more fruitful and you enjoy every bit of it. I am sure Brazil is going to be cool and also am glad that you got the visa. :)

2. I showed your blog to my mom sometime back (when there were fewer photos) and she said you write very well. Now you are a girl who gets a lot-of head bobbing approvals in India, be it your artistic mehndi designs or your blog writings. So Mom's got to see your blog again with so many more pics and yes, you could put the pictures on flickr.com if you'd like.

3. Apart from your writings, I also enjoy Jayaraman's (now called 'Jay') comments. :)
Some how Jay and Dad got prediction about you that you'll be a lucky girl! If one essay gets you to see the world then I have to agree. A message from Dad - Miriam, write down address & telephone numbers of all the places you stayed during your visit. Would be useful for a student's version of Lonely Planet!

4. We also got a postcard from you ('SeeHawDeeHaa'?) from Bangkok while you were hung-up with Brazil Visa. Thanks for the postcard.

5. Noticed one-of-your-blogs while you were leaving Delhi and the auto-driver came to leave you till Railway platform, and I must say that was very kind of him. Delhi Auto/Taxi drivers are mostly 'money extractors' who never use the meter and often refuse to do routes. Mr.K.K Sharma surely seems like an honest, trustworthy guy.

Cheers,
Aditya.

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home